The Society of Clinical Surgery was founded in 1903 as a travel club for young surgeons. Charter members included James G. Mumford, George E. Brewer, Harvey Cushing, Charles H. Frazier, George W. Crile, and John C. Munro.
The activities of the Society are directed toward the general advancement of surgery. The Society seeks to stimulate its members to work along lines of original thought and investigation in the clinic, laboratory, or library and to develop and improve methods of surgical teaching.
Read more about the Society of Clinical Surgery’s history here:
- “The Continuing History of the Society of Clinical Surgery”
By Allen O. Whipple, M.D. (1959, Annals of Surgery)
- “The Society of Clinical Surgery in Retrospect”
By Harvey Cushing, M.D. (1969, Annals of Surgery)